XXXII Summer Olympic Games – will be held from July 24 to August 9, 2020, in Tokyo (Japan).

On August 3, 2016, at the 129th session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), it was decided to include karate, surfing, baseball, rock climbing and skateboarding competitions in the 2020 Olympic program in Tokyo. The 2020 Summer Olympics, which will be the 32nd in a row, will be held in the Japanese capital Tokyo. Tokyo will host the Olympics for the second time, the first time this happened back in 1964. Then, 56 years ago, Japan became the first Asian country to host the Olympic Games. Following the Japanese economic miracle, the 1964 Olympic Games were for Japan a symbol of the final recovery in the international arena after the defeat in World War II. Note that the 2020 Olympics could be the third in a row for the Japanese capital, but because of the Sino-Japanese War, Japan refused to host the 1940 Olympics. Then the event was moved to the capital of Finland, Helsinki, but the Olympics were not destined to take place there either.

The Second World War began and the 1940 Games were finally cancelled. If we talk about the total number of Olympic Games that Japan hosted, then the 2020 Games will be the fourth in the history of the country of the rising sun. Twice Japan was the mistress of the Winter Olympics (Sapporo in 1974 and Nagano in 1998) and once, in 1964, Tokyo hosted the Summer Games. Tokyo is the capital of the 2020 Olympics Prior to the final vote, three cities were allowed to host the 2020 Olympics: Madrid (Spain), Istanbul (Turkey) and Tokyo (Japan). Until May 24, 2012, Doha and Baku were also applicants. Madrid submitted an application for the third time in a row, and for the Turkish city this application was already the fifth. One year before the announcement of the winning city in October 2012, according to the quotes of bookmakers, Tokyo had the highest odds (about 55%), Istanbul’s odds were estimated lower (about 35%), Madrid’s victory was least likely (about 10%). Voting took place in two rounds, and in the first round, it was necessary to conduct an additional vote.

The Japanese capital received 42 votes, and Istanbul and Madrid – 26 each. And the members of the International Olympic Committee had to choose from these two cities – who would compete with Tokyo in the final round. Istanbul won – 49 votes to 45. But the Turkish city did not become a serious contender for Tokyo. The capital of Japan won with a big advantage – 60 against 36. September 7, 2013, in Buenos Aires (Argentina), the IOC at its 125th session declared Tokyo the capital of the XXXII Summer Olympic Games. Competitions at the Tokyo Olympics 2020 The competition program has remained roughly the same as at previous Rio Games. On August 3, 2016, during the 129th session of the International Olympic Committee, a vote was taken at which a unanimous decision was made to include karate, surfing, baseball, rock climbing and skateboarding in the 2020 Olympic Games program. New species will complement the Olympic program, they will not be included in exchange for others. At the same time, the “new package” of the competition will be valid exclusively for the Tokyo Olympics, the organizing committees of the next Summer Olympic Games will form a competitive program based on its current format.

Ryan Helton

A technology enthusiast since childhood, Ryan is known for his impeccable knowledge in the technology and gadgets niche. He has been working with TheOlympicsToday as a contributor for Tech/Gadgets category and his articles are always well-researched and accurate.

View All Posts

Ryan Helton

A technology enthusiast since childhood, Ryan is known for his impeccable knowledge in the technology and gadgets niche. He has been working with TheOlympicsToday as a contributor for Tech/Gadgets category and his articles are always well-researched and accurate.