With the arrival of the Olympic Games, it is shown that many people are encouraged to practice some sport. In the post-Olympic year, there is a great increase in physical activity and healthy actions.
In EFEsalud we analyze with Dr. López López-Illescas Ruiz, specialized in Sports Medicine and a member of the Higher Sports Council, the six-star Olympic sports with their six main benefits and risks.
We treat information for ordinary people (not for athletes), in order to facilitate the decision when choosing the most appropriate sport.
Swimming is one of the most complete sports there and is highly recommended for all ages. Not all people can practice any style of Olympic swimming, but swimming is recommended in a therapeutic way, with specific exercises for each person.
- It favors the cardiovascular system
- Improves breathing
- Prevents injuries (as long as the exercises to be done are indicated)
- Swimming secretes endorphins and this generates a feeling of happiness.
- It is a global exercise: work legs, back, arms and hips
- It gives greater mobility, in water the weight is approximately 10%
- Be careful with respiratory infections
- Tendonitis, especially at shoulder level, in the supraspinatus
- It causes dermal lesions (wound infection)
- Fosters mushroom cultivation
- Exercise in water forces us to regulate thermoregulation because more body heat is lost. Temperature changes can produce the so-called “digestion cut”
- Ear infections, such as otitis.
The most common is to run, “running“ is healthy at all levels, but taking into account the characteristics for each age. It is always recommended to do a previous training.
Keep in mind that you have to wear appropriate clothing to maintain body temperature. In addition, shoes are essential.
- Strengthens the cardiovascular condition
- It is a very stimulating activity
- Metabolism aid
- Download tensions and improve mood
- Strengthen the muscles
- It makes it easier not to tire ourselves in other actions of life
- Injuries to the joints of the lower limbs
- Cartilage can be damaged
- Tendinopathies at the level of the patellar tendon and the aquiline tendon
- Extreme plantar fasciitis, a pain in the sole of the foot in which they cannot step on
- Bursitis, swelling due to accumulated fluid between muscles, tendons, and bones
- Periostitis at the level of the tibia, pain in front of the leg that prevents running
The taekwondo is considered a weapon and still, the epicenter of learning is based on respect. It is not an advisable sport to start it in advanced ages. It must always be guided by a professional.
The optimal age range would be from childhood to youth because it will be practiced with better conditions than if you are older. From the age of 50, it is not advisable to start in this sport.
- Develop great motor skills
- It improves the notion of the body
- Gives self-control
- Balance and coordination control
- Power aerobic endurance
- Improve travel speed
- Overload Injuries
- Stress fracture
- More acute sprains
- Even a concussion from a blow to the head
- Why the Olympics is the strangest tennis tournament - February 9, 2020
- Achievements of Kazakhstan in boxing - February 9, 2020
- Zenit General Manager: Our volleyball is clean. It is unfair not to let the Russian team go to the Olympics - February 9, 2020
- Transgender people are eager for the Tokyo Olympics. The shock of the basics awaits us - February 9, 2020
- The Spanish Olympic medals bloom in the moor - February 9, 2020